Lasagna has always intimidated me because I thought it was so much harder than it really is. It is probably my husband’s favorite meal, so I wanted to find an easy, healthier version of this recipe. So of course I had to try it in the crockpot; the lifesaver for a working mom. This meal does not disappointment!
This is a perfect meal for a busy week night and a special celebration evening at home during these cold months. Paired with a glass of red wine, I feel like I have an Italian restaurant in my own kitchen, and because this is made in the crockpot, I forgot I had to make it because I made it 6 hours earlier!
Instead of ground beef, I use ground turkey and instead of ricotta, I use cottage cheese. I also load it with spinach because I am trying to add veggies to everything.
- 1 – 24 oz jar of marinara sauce
- 1 – 8 oz container of mushroom
- 1 – 10 oz bag of spinach
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups of 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried or fresh)
- Use crockpot liner or spray crockpot with olive oil or other anti-stick spray.
- Brown ground turkey – I do this the night before to save time, so I can turn this on as I head out to work.
3. Layer the following on top of the lined/protected crockpot.
Layer 1: Half the ground turkey, half the mushroom container, and half the jar of marinara.
Layer 2: 1/3 of the bag of spinach on top of Layer 1
Layer 3: Three lasagna noodles on top of spinach
Layer 4: Rest of ground turkey, mushrooms, and marinara
Layer 5: Three lasagna noodles on top of marinara combination
Layer 6: 1/3 bag of spinach on top
4. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
5. Spread cottage cheese evenly and cover with the rest of the bag of spinach. Top with the cup of shredded cheese and oregano.
6. Cook on low for 1 hour and let cool before serving.