And Meatballs (I use the extra stuffing for meatballs based on how many peppers I have)
One of my husband and my favorite meals! My kids absolutely love red, orange, and yellow peppers (thanks to Costco for offering them at such a deal), but we always have a few left over. Most of the times I have made this dinner, I didn’t plan enough time for almost an hour of cooking, and they ate something else for dinner, so I can’t claim this is kid approve.
- 2-4 green, red, orange, or yellow peppers (I make this according to what peppers I have left over but this recipe will make enough for 4 large peppers cut in half)
- 1 pound of ground sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use Monterey jack but anything you have available will be good)
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 t-spoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and use olive oil to coat glass pan to prepare for cooking.
- Slice peppers in half and devein and deseed (pictured above).
3. Mix sausage, quinoa, cheese, eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl – I use my hand to knead it to make sure that it is completely mixed together.
4. Fill peppers with stuffing mixture (pictured above).
5. Use any extra stuffing to make meatballs in a separate pan or if you have room in the pepper pan.
6. Bake in the oven for 55 minutes.
7. Optional: Top stuffed peppers with shredded cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
8. Enjoy! We love to pair ours with our go to balsamic and feta salad.